Naturalization: 3-Year Rule for Spouses of US Citizens

Natz 3 years.jpg

If you are a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) and married to a US Citizen, you may be able to apply for naturalization/citizenship after 3 years of being a green card holder instead of waiting the normal 5 years to apply. It is not even required that you obtain your green card through your marriage to qualify. Generally, the requirements for this rule are:

1.      You have been a green card holder for at least 3 years,

2.      You have been in marital union with the same US spouse for 3 years, and

3.      You are eligible to apply for naturalization

For more information regarding this requirement, click here.

Here at the Law Office of Marron Gebremeskel, PLLC, we offer naturalization application services. Give us a call to review your case.

Marron GebremeskelComment